Local School Galleries

Aldourie       Click Here to go to Lessons By Loch Ness “Aldourie School”

Situated in on the roadside of the B862 about one mile outside Dores in the Inverness direction the present school was build around 1874 .     It replaced a school in very near proximity  possibly the same site . The first recording of a school in Dores is 1761  .  This building  is still the current Aldourie school, one of three schools still active in the district .

Bunchrubin       Click Here

Situated on the B862  just north of Torness  a new school was build here, opening  in 1876. It replaced a nearby school run by the Society in Scotland for Propagating Christian Knowledge (SSPCK) , the school closed in 1955  see article on Bunchrubin in libray .

Boleskine       Click here

Located past Drumtemple Church heading north to Foyers  a new school was build here in 1879.  It replaced an earlier parish school{Society in Scotland for Propagating Christian Knowledge (SSPCK)} that was nearby at Bailebeag  from about 1803 . There is evidence of earlier schools in Boleskine parish from 1631 on-wards held in different location in the near vicinity to Drumtemple.   Boleskine school closed in 1977, with its pupils transferred to the newly built  Stratherrick school.

Errogie             Click here

Situated in on the roadside of the B862 within Errogie, a new school was build here, opening  in 1878. It replaced a nearby school run by the  Free Church of Scotland  around 1843 which was across the road from the present Free Church.  Around 1721 the Society in Scotland for Propagating Christian Knowledge (SSPCK) had a school at an unknown location in Errogie .    Errogie school closed in 1977, with its pupils transferred to the newly built  Stratherrick school.

Foyers School      Click here

With the British Aluminium Company opening its factory in Foyers in 1896, a school was opened in 1901 near the former Roman Catholic Chapel on the road up to the current school. Prior to that the children of the Foyers area attended Boleskine School.  This school proved too small for the number of children in Foyers and Inverfarigaig,  so a new school was built and  opened September 1906 .This building  is still the current Foyers school, one of three schools still active in the district .

Knockchoilun /WhiteBridge         Click here

Situated on the Killin road on the Knockchoilum Junction a new school was build here, opening  in 1878.  This school superseded an earlier one nearby that was in operation since 1818 .  In June 1940 the school burnt down , and was transferred temporary to the servants hall in Dell house. In Dec 1940 the former Roman Catholic school at Whitebridge ( which operated between 1875 an around 1915) was refurbished and used as the primary school for the area. In 1956 it was officially renamed Whitebridge primary school and in 1977 it closed with its pupils transferred to the newly built  Stratherrick school .

Stratherrick    Click here

Opened in 1977 near Lyne of Gorthleck  to superseded Boleskine, Errogie and Whitebridge primary schools, one of three schools still active in the district .

Copyright © 2014 SLNHG all rights reserved

2 Responses to Local School Galleries

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.