Shaw Brothers Road Contractors truck outside the Dores Inn. Two of the three occupants of the truck are believed to be Donald and Jimmy Shaw from Croftdhu, Errogie. Photograph courtesy of Donny Mackintosh.
Ian and Alister MacAskill along with Jimmy and Wulstan MacPherson by hand opening the Fort Augustus road which was blocked by snow just west of Whitebridge Hotel in early 1954. Although there is a Ferguson tractor present, it was not untill a few years later locally that there were snow ploughs fitted to tractors which enabled the roads to be cleared much easier. Photograph courtesy of Hugh MacNally.
Outside MacGillivray’s shop at Lyne of Gorthleck in mid twenties . L-R : Mrs Brimlow , Meena MacGillivray, Angus MacGillivray, Miss Brimlow, Barbara MacGillivray, Donald MacGillivray and Mr Brimlow. The Brimlows would have been staying at the shop which was also a guest house at one time. Photograph courtesy of Grace MacGillivray.
Loch Ness Steamer – The Glengarry. Built in 1844 as the “Edinburgh Castle” she worked the Caledonian Canal from 1847 for 80 years. In the 1870s she was lengthened, provided with saloons and renamed “Glengarry”. From 1895 the Glengarry was placed on the Loch Ness mail run from Fort Augustus to Inverness where she remained until her last run on 29 October 1927. She was broken up 3 months later. At 83 she was the oldest steamship in the world. Photograph courtesy of Iain Cameron.
Mrs.Elizabeth MacGruer( Betsy) at Ault-na-goire with donkey and cart. Photograph courtesy of Alex Sutherland.
The Gondolier leaving Fort Augustus. The 250 ton paddle steamer was built in 1866 by J & G Thompson for the partnership of Alexander & David Hutcheson and David MacBrayne and was designed for working through canal locks. She sailed extensively all her working life along the entire length of the Caledonian Canal on the Inverness to Banavie route untill the route was closed in 1939. She was then taken to Scapa Floe in the Orkeney islands and sunk to prevent enemy boats entering the naval safe harbour. Photograph courtesy of Ella Macrae.
Pony and Trap outside the conservatory at Aldourie Castle. Photograph courtesy of Iain Cameron.
Car at Aldourie Castle1907. Photograph courtesy of Iain Cameron.