The Gondolier leaving Fort Augustus. The 250 ton paddle steamer was built in 1866 by J & G Thompson for the partnership of Alexander & David Hutcheson and David MacBrayne and was designed for working through canal locks. She sailed extensively all her working life along the entire length of the Caledonian Canal on the Inverness to Banavie route untill the route was closed in 1939. She was then taken to Scapa Floe in the Orkeney islands and sunk to prevent enemy boats entering the naval safe harbour. Photograph courtesy of Ella Macrae.
Full size is 1000 × 664 pixels